Using sound behavioural principles, our Moving Forward program is practical, time-limited and solution-focused. For those who have lost interest in doing the things they used to do and are lacking in the motivation to resume those activities, Brainworks’ Moving Forward program uses the empirically supported intervention of behavioural activation to increase the quality and quantity of activity in which our clients engage.
This program can be customized to fit the needs of a wide variety of clients who are experiencing depressive symptoms, including those with chronic pain, those who have sustained a brain injury, and those adjusting to life after a motor vehicle collision.
Components of the Moving Forward Program:
- An assessment to develop a comprehensive, individualized treatment plan
- Evidence-based treatment practices that incorporate a cognitive behavioural approach
- Goal-focused, client-centred and community-based
- An emphasis on increasing activity level through the use of specific monitoring tools and natural reinforcement principles
- Clients learn about how their behaviours influence their actions and emotions by participating in carefully supervised “behavioural trials”
- Focuses on slowly building success by supporting the client in accomplishing incremental goals
This program is an essential first step to treating serious depressive symptoms. For clients who do not experience any enjoyment or sense of accomplishment, it is extremely difficult to support them in goals of returning to work or re-establishing appropriate activity levels without first activating them.
The Moving Forward program progressively increases both the sense of pleasure and sense of mastery which are characteristically lacking in those experiencing depressive symptoms. Therefore, our Moving Forward program literally gets our clients “unstuck” and moving forward. Once this forward motion has begun, we can capitalize on the momentum, and support clients in their goals of resuming their normal responsibilities.
For more information about our Moving Forward Program, or to request information about other services we provide, please contact: