Social workers employed by Brainworks are members of the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers and are regulated professionals under the Social Work and Social Service Work Act 1998 (Ontario).
Social workers help clients and their family members achieve the best quality of life possible and enhance their functioning in the community. The social worker will assist the client and family members to develop the skills to cope with the many challenges associated with their disability or medical condition and to make the necessary adjustments to changing circumstances. Information on other community resources will be provided as appropriate.
Some of the challenges that social workers can address are:
- Emotional, social, or financial concerns
- Options for future lifestyle, living and caregiving
- Interpersonal and family relationship issues
- Losses of function and role due to medical condition or disability
- Opportunities for meaningful daily activity and community integration
- Education on the impact of disabilities and community resources
In client/family meetings at mutually convenient locations, the social worker will work with each client/family to find alternative and effective solutions to the challenges and to help the client/family make choices to suit their needs and circumstances.
For more information on social work services, please contact: